Saturday, September 24, 2011

Ground Cedar


Notice the spores that spring up at this time of the year.

Ground cedar or creeping cedar or ground pine is a wild green groundcover.  The kind in the picture is I think Lycopodium digitatum.  It is supposed to look like a  wolf's foot.  My mother recently died and the large patch at her house will likely become overgrown or be bulldozed away.  It is the only large growth I have seen.  Some say it is common, but others say it is rarely found in our part of North Carolina.  I do know it is difficult to transplant.  I have tried several times with no success.  This year I am moving large clumps with the hope it will not notice the new soil.  It likes the edge of woods with a touch of moisture and some soil enriched over the years.  I tried to weed eat part of the patch so tall weeds would not overshadow the pretty growth.  I didn't get that done this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment