Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Difficult Flower Beds


These two ferns are in pots and have to go to the basement
 for the winter.  The hostas are also in pots and stay outside.

I tried a few years ago to make some attractive square flower beds around the bases of the maple trees near the street in front of my house. 

The next year I tried to remedy the persistent, relentless root invasion by putting a layer of plastic under the skimpy soil around the trees. 

 Last year I gave up and started inserting potted plants around the  trees, disguising them with rocks and pine straw and whatever else I found.  Some I just left exposed.


The two begonias have to
 go to the basement each winter.
 I have had them several years.

The hostas seem to do well in their pots year around.



No comments:

Post a Comment