Sunday, April 3, 2011

Potting Soil and Pots

Since I sometimes sell  plants, I need inexpensive potting soil.  We have a bagging mower and dump clippings in the edge of our back woods.  After a couple of years this blends with the soil and can be plowed or just mixed into useful soil.  Mix just plain old dirt with the clippings for a more solid soil.

Another source is rotten dead pine trees from our small wooded area (about half an acre) behind our house.  Several years ago the power company cut about 15 trees from under the lines.  Not knowing what to do with them, we just stacked them in the woods.  It took six or seven years for them to rot into usefulness.   I use discarded pots from the dumpster and just plain old discarded cooking pots, which sometimes can be really interesting.  People just leave empty pots at my house, even if I am not there.  I think the pot that I burned soup beans in has been reinvented as a flower pot three times, since people tend to return the pots from the flowers they bought at my sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment