Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Angel Trumpets

 An angel trumpet is one of my favorite flowers for more than one reason.  It is not only beautiful, it also lends itself to sharing. I received my start of the plant when a neighbor called and asked if I wanted a box of large stems she had cut back just before frost.
 I put them in buckets of water in my unheated basement.  They grew roots and leaves over the winter.  I just had to be sure they had enough water and keep watch to be sure they didn't start to rot.  In late winter I planted them in recycled pots, cut-off gallon milk cartons, orange juice cartons, old pots and pans or whatever else I can find.  When danger of frost is past, they can be planted in the yard. 


They like lots of water and fertilizer and a bit of mulch.   Blooms tend to come in late summer.  At the end of the season, just before frost cut stems 6-8 inches long and put them in water  with top of stem upward.  They will die if they have been frostbitten.

                                                
                                                Angel trumpets sprouting roots and
                                                leaves in February

No comments:

Post a Comment