Saturday, May 4, 2013

Hen and Chickens

Hen and Chickens is a hardy passalong succulent that can be persuaded to grow in all sorts of odd places.   Mine are just the old-fashioned passalong ones, but they come in different colors and shapes.

The good thing about them is that they can be put in all sorts of containers or in a corner of a flower bed, be it sun or shade.  They stay outside all winter with no attention.


My efforts to plant them in tall strawberry jars from the garden center have not been very successful.

 Actually one of the jars broke in two. I used the bottom for a shallow hen and chicken holder.

 The bottomless top I buried and filled with hens and chicks.  They prosper more when buried a bit.   They will soon be totally full.



This is a good example of my lack of success with hens and chicks in a strawberry jar.

This ajuga just dropped in and I let it grow. There is a small fern growing on the other side.


















No comments:

Post a Comment