Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Beautiful Carrion Cactus


I have mentioned the carrion cactus before, but here it is again.  I couldn't resist these pictures my husband took yesterday. 

 Their blooms are running a bit late this year, since the plants were relegated to the basement last winter. 

 I was hoping all the buds would open at the same time, but the cooler weather has slowed them down.

The day wasn't very sunny, and the flies weren't as plentiful as usual.  The rotten meat smell, however, was in full force.  It is surprising that something so beautiful can smell so bad.  Notice the delicate hairs on the petals. 

This is a true passalong plant.  My friend JoAnn gave it to me with a warning about its smell.






I am including a picture from last year that shows the blow flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment