Friday, August 19, 2011

Flower People

Flower people are special.   They come from all walks of life, from all age groups, rich or poor.  Every one likes a nice new perennial that costs very little or nothing.  Some one asked at my plant sale if I would take a check.  Yes, I would.  Flower people don't tend to write bad checks.  Flower people like to tell you about the strange new flower blooming in their yard and they want to ask you what will take care of that bug on their twig dogwood.  Incidentally, I am very inept at getting rid of visiting bugs and slugs.  I guess I can't tell whether to be ecologically correct or just go ahead and zap them. Plant people come up at WalMart and share plant experiences and tell about that plant they got from you --whether it is still growing and why it is spreading all over your yard.

My most surprising experience with a plant friend took place in a hospital twenty miles from home.  I was very apprehensively being prepped for surgery.  The lady comes to draw blood just before time for me to go off to sleep.  What are her encouraging words?  They were :   "I'm sorry I missed your plant sale last spring."  I felt better.  A friendly face when you don't expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment